<body>
Tuesday, July 29, 2008 @ 3:00 PM


Chapter 24
“Wilson, I’m really scared. What if your mother doesn’t like me? What if…” Joyce’s thoughts ran wild.
“Don’t be afraid. I’m here. I’m always here by your side, no matter what happens.” Wilson held Joyce’s hand firmly, hoping to send warmth and courage to her. “Why don’t you go in first? Go in and chat with your parents. It might calm you down.” Wilson smiled and held open the door for Joyce.
Joyce nodded her head slightly and made her way into the room.
“I hope everything goes well…” Wilson whispered. “I really hope that everything will go well…”

There was a knock at the door and Joyce jumped slightly. It must be Wilson. His mother must be outside right now…
Wilson came into the room with a lady behind him. She seem to be in her mid 40s and she wore an elegant dress. The lady kept looking at June. “Mum, that’s June, Joyce’s sister.” Wilson explained. Wilson’s mother nodded her head and turned to look at Joyce. “My goodness!” She exclaimed, startling everyone. “Daughter… It’s my daughter… It’s you isn’t it? You’re Amelia!” The lady rushed over and hugged Joyce tightly. “Erm… Auntie…” Joyce dare not push Wilson’s mother away and could only struggle. “My Amelia! It really is you…” Wilson’s mother started crying on Joyce’s shoulders. Joyce’s parents appeared shocked at the lady’s actions. “How did she know… Could she be?” Mrs Lim whispered, her voice sounded hoarse. “Could she possibly be?”

Joyce snapped her head around to look at her mother. “Mum, what do you mean?” Tears rolled down Mrs Lim’s face. Mr Lim seem to be quite emotionally unstable too. “Auntie? Uncle?” Wilson went over to Joyce’s parents. June slammed her fists against the table and stood up. “You guys are hiding something aren’t you?” June asked, shaking. Joyce’s mother nodded her head violently. “We never thought…”

Everyone sat down around the table with stern faces. Joyce’s mother sniffed. “Me and your father, we have been trying hard for nearly two years, but I just couldn’t get pregnant. My mother-in-law, your grandmother, was getting more and more impatient. Under those circumstances, I really couldn’t take it anymore. Knowing that it will violate the law, I still wanted to ‘buy‘ a child. Your father gave in to my pleas and contacted a few friends…” At this part, Mrs Lim broke down again. Mr Lim patted her shoulders and continued. “One of my friends knew of a person who is selling away young children. He said that those children were homeless kids. We naively believed him and made a date to ‘buy’ a child…”

When we met him, he was carrying a unconscious girl around 7 or 8 years old. Not knowing why is the girl unconscious, we were frightened. But the man simply threw the kid to us and left after taking our money. To our horror, the girl woke up not remembering anything. Not a single thing, not even her name. Still, the girl was our responsibility now, and we were her ‘parents’. We lavished her with all the love and attention, and named her Joyce…

Wilson turned to look at Joyce. “What happened next?” He asked. “Then? What happened?!” He shouted. Tears rolled down at an even faster rate on Mrs Lim’s face. “Then June was born. June did not know anything about Joyce. She always thought Joyce was her sister. It was meant to be a secret… A secret we will carry to our graves…” Joyce stared at her parents in disbelief. “You’re kidding right? You’re kidding…” She shook her head. “YOU’RE LYING TO ME!”
Wilson’s mother reached a hand towards Joyce. “You’re Amelia. I can recognise you in one glance. No matter how old you are, I would be able to recognise you.” Joyce smacked her hand away. “You’re not! You’re not my mother! Tell me something that nobody else will know then! Tell me where is my birthmark!”
“It’s on your back, near your right shoulder.” Wilson’s mother sighed. “I will never forget where my daughter’s birthmark is.” Joyce stared at the lady in front of her, and back to the pair whom she has been calling ‘mum’ and ‘dad’ for so many years. She stood up and fled from the room. “Joyce!” Wilson shouted and ran after her. “Joyce! Stop, come back!”

“Joyce!” Wilson caught up with Joyce and held her by her shoulders.
“Let me go! We can’t get married, I’m your sister!” She shouted hysterically.
“Joyce! Listen to me! This isn’t proven. So what if my mother knows where is your birthmark? Birthmarks are so common…”
“Stop lying to yourself. I’m your sister. It all matches perfectly now. You said your sister was 7 when she was lost in the fire. I was 7 when my current parents got me. It fits!” Joyce pushed Wilson’s hands away and shook her head dejectedly. “Let go of me. I need sometime alone…” With this, she ran off, leaving Wilson.

“Are you speaking the truth?” June tried to calm herself down. “Joyce Lim is merely a stranger you brought with money?”
Mrs Lim could only nod her head at June’s accusations. “Still, I must thank you for taking such good care of my daughter.” Wilson’s mother smiled at Mrs Lim. “My Amelia has grown into a very fine lady.”
“Do you know how much sis and Wilson is going to suffer because of your actions?! Imagine yourself falling in love with your sibling!” June shouted at her mother and ran out in search of her sister…

As soon as June stepped out of the lift, she knocked into someone and fell onto the floor. “June?” Wilson quickly helped her up. “Where’s my sister? Have you caught up with her? Where is she?” June started to bomb Wilson with endless questions. Wilson shook his head. “What do you mean?! Speak up! Don’t tell me you’re letting my sis go just like this? After all those things you’ve done, you’re giving up so easily?” June shouted. “It’s no use. It’s all… Over now…” Wilson tried to stop himself from crying. “Joyce has been affected greatly… It’s over. We’re over.” Wilson made another attempt to brainwash himself. Wilson, wake up! What are you doing? Why are you feeling so sad? You’ve found your long lost sister, the one whom you miss so much! He was still in the middle of consoling himself when June sent a stinging slap across his face. “You liar! A pack of lies! Stay away from my sister! You said you will not let anyone hurt her!” June cried and pushed Wilson with all her might. Wilson felt his body shaking as he watched June’s frail body run across the road…

xiaoxi's note
chapter 24, a drastic twist of events!
feeling so down right now. why do i feel this way everytime my story comes close to an end? but as the saying goes, the ending of something will bring a new beginning.
the last chapter will be up soon, and soon after would be my new story, Wolf Tribe.
please enjoy~!!
xiaoxi,loves.



back to the TOP / Comments: 0

Welcome

Welcome to REMINISCING-PANDORA. This site was opened on 9 OCT 2007 and has been under the care of xiaoxi ever since it was born.
eyeballs(s) viewing now!




Navigations

Author ProfileUpdatesStories AvailableSubscribeAffiliationAffies' GiftsDownloadables


Disclaimer

Creative Commons License
This Story Blog by xiaoxi is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Singapore License.

Read more HERE.


Chatbox

This cbox is only for chatting.
Drop your chapter comments under the comment button at the end of each post (below banner).


[ Chat Full Size ]


Credits

Designer: xiaoxi
Images: Phebs
Hosts: 1 2